Instituto de Zoología y Ecología Tropical
- At Universidad Central de Venezuela in Caracas. I did my bachelor and
master studies there.
Theoretical Biology Group
- At the University of Groningen in the Netherlands. This where I did my PhD.
Centre for Biodiversity Theory and Modelling
- Part of the Station
d'Ecologie Expèrimentale du CNRS à Moulis, France.
- Laboratory of Theoretical Ecology
- At the Biology Centre of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic in České Budějovice. I work here.
Ecology and evolution
Quantitative Population Ecology
- Alexei Sharov's online lectures on population ecology. It is a good
first introduction to mathematical models and statistical models used
in the study of populations and ecological interactions
Elements of Physical Biology
- By Alfred J.Lotka. One of the first comprehensive books of the emerging
field of mathematical biology
Variazioni e fluttuazioni del numero d'individui in specie animali conviventi [PDF]
- Vito Volterra's competition and predator-prey models
The Struggle for Existence
- By Georgii Frantsevich Gause. This book describes the first experimental
tests of the theories of Lotka and Volterra. Gause is the originator of
the "Competitive Exclusion Principle"
- Darwin Online
- Darwin Online is the largest and most widely consulted edition of the
writings of Darwin ever published
R. A. Fisher Digital Archive
- R. A. Fisher's extraordinary contributions to statistical theory and
methods, experimental design, scientific inference, evolutionary
biology and genetics have had far-reaching consequences in many
branches of human thought and endeavour
The Unofficial Stephen Jay Gould Archive
- On this website you will find articles by Gould and his colleagues
focusing on the finer points of his work, the nature of life's
evolution, and the general ontogeny of evolutionary theory
A History of the Ecological Sciences
- by Frank N. Egerton. Available at the Ecological Society of America
- This site hosts many interesting papers and books about evolution.
There is also plenty of resources on palæontology
Principles of Evolution, Ecology and Behavior
- This course presents the principles of evolution, ecology, and behavior
for students beginning their study of biology and of the environment
List of Textbooks on Ecological Modelling
- Compiled by Michael Knorrenschild from the internet
Electronic Statistics Textbook
- StatSoft has freely provided the Electronic Statistics Textbook as a
public service since the mid-'90s
- Scholarpedia is an online encyclopedia that focuses on the fields of
computational neuroscience, touch, dynamical systems, computational
intelligence, physics and astrophysics
Principia Cybernetica Electronic Library
- This electronic library provides free, downloadable copies of basic
books on cybernetics and systems science
- The Feynman Lectures on Physics
- Enjoy reading a high-quality up-to-date copy of Feynman's legendary lectures
- HAKMEM, alternatively known as AI Memo 239, is a February 1972 "memo"
(technical report) of the MIT AI Lab that describes a wide variety of
hacks, primarily useful and clever algorithms for mathematical computation
The Matrix Cookbook
- Matrix identities, relations and approximations. A desktop reference
for quick overview of mathematics of matrices
Free and open academic resources
- Open access to e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance and Statistics
- Public Library of Science is a nonprofit open access scientific
publishing project aimed at creating a library of open access journals
and other scientific literature under an open content license
- DataDryad.org is a curated general-purpose repository that makes the
data underlying scientific publications discoverable, freely reusable,
- Ecology and Society
- Ecology and Society is an electronic, peer-reviewed, multi-disciplinary
journal devoted to the rapid dissemination of current research
- A free (as in freedom, not as in price), stable and secure operating
system. There are many distributions
of GNU/Linux, with thousands of packages available. I use
- Portable Apps
- PortableApps.com is the world's most popular portable software solution
allowing you to take your favorite software with you.
- LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing
based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM) and not simply their
appearance (WYSIWYG). LyX combines the power and flexibility of
TeX/LaTeX with the ease of use of a graphical interface.
- Open source bibliography reference manager and bibtex editor. Excellent
in combination with LyX.
- The GNU Scientific Library (GSL) is a numerical library for C and C++
programmers. It is free software under the GNU General Public License.
The library provides a wide range of mathematical routines such as
random number generators, special functions and least-squares fitting.
- GNU Octave
- GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended
for numerical computations. Octave is mostly compatible with MATLAB.
- The R Project
- R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
The R language is nowadays considered the de-facto standard for the
development of statistical software
- Populus is composed of several models that simulate several aspects of
population biology and evolutionary ecology.
- XPPAUT is a general numerical tool for simulating, animating, and
analyzing dynamical systems.
- Sage is a free open-source mathematics software system licensed under
the GPL. Mission: Creating a viable free open source alternative to
Magma, Maple, Mathematica and Matlab.
- Simulating Ecological and
Evolutionary Systems in C
- Not "software" but a book (download available). The webpage has the
C source codes used in the book.
- News for Nerds. Stuff that Matters
- News and articles on Science and Technology
- Environmental news
- Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
- News, jobs, courses, questions & answers
A Beginner's Guide to HTML
- How to make webpages like it's 1996!
Anthony's Icon Library
- Est. 1991, many images here were taken from this website
Fravia's web-searching lore
- Advanced Internet searching strategies & advice. Resources for
basic, advanced & deep web seekers.
- Web site dedicated to preserving the digital documents that contain the
history of the BBS world and various subcultures
- Project Gutenberg (PG) is a volunteer effort to digitize and archive
The Internet Archive
- Browse and read over 5 million books and items from over 1,500-curated
Research in progress
- We regret to inform you that your paper has not been accepted . . .
- The lighter side of Academia. Silly, not stupid
Please be patient
- This page is under construction!
- A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language
The Curch of the Subgenius
- Become an Ordained Minister NOW ...
The Curch of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
- Become an pastafarian, ramen ...
The Darwin Awards
- Natural selection deems that some individuals serve as a warning to
- Ig Nobel Prize givers
- We offer the cure for hope. And for surprisingly affordable prices